Sunday, February 25, 2007

Guru Checkpoint 1 (Guen Han)

This is Guen, group 7’s guru, ethicisit, and ombudsman. My duties are divided between leading/coordinating the group, considering the ethical components of the project, and compiling the final consulting report. Here is my plan for each of these tasks:

Group Coordination
I’ve already sent an email out to my group detailing our plan and requesting that each section be turned into me by noon this Saturday. As of now, we are well coordinated; everyone is doing his/her part without much trouble. I don’t particularly see a need for meeting since we are already well organized—basically, each person knows he/she must adequately research and write a report on their aspect of the project. Throughout, however, I will correspond with each group member on a regular basis to make sure all is going well. Of course, if it becomes clear that a meeting is necessary, I would gladly arrange it. For now, I let my group know that if they need any help with their sections, they can contact me.

Ethical Considerations
I have researched a bit for this component, and it seems that there aren’t very many obvious sources for this, especially since our situation is a hypothetical one. Thus, I decided to research BitTorrent’s history and how it relates to other corporations and file distribution instead. I have already found more than enough articles from the New York Times and Wired on this topic, but I will be sure to research from a few more sources too. In any case, I will have a write-up of all this research and the ethical considerations derived from it posted on this blog this Thursday.

Final Consulting Report
I did as much as I could with the consulting report for now. First, I found a “How To” on writing consulting reports:

http://www.mccombs.utexas.edu/faculty/kristie.loescher/assignments/project%20report.htm

Then, I found sample consulting reports online so that I may have examples to work off when I make the final report for this project. Here are a few examples of reports I have found:

http://www.chessconsulting.org/services/samples/sample_management-report.pdf
http://nri.netraker.com/nrinfo/research/reports/exe_sum.pdf
http://www.ncpanet.org/pdf/sampleccr2006.pdf
http://web.mit.edu/ist/delivery/enterprint/moore.pdf
http://www.schallerconsult.com/pub/lowermn.pdf

I requested that everyone turn in their sections to me by noon on Saturday, March 3 because I anticipate that pulling all the sections together may take a while. First, I will make sure the text is adequate and that it flows—this will probably require extra research and writing on my part. Then, I will compile the final consulting report using Adobe InDesign to make it presentable and aesthetically pleasing.

That is all for now. Professor Forbes or Professor Grit, if you feel like I need to be doing more with any of my duties (especially “Ethical Considerations”), please let me know. Thank you.

Update:

Now that I have a better idea as to what I should do for the ethical considerations, I have set up a meeting with my group so that we can discuss these moral questions. Also, now my research will be more focused, since I have a better idea of the questions I am to answer.

No comments: